Friday, September 24, 2010

"Forget yourself and go to work!"

When I began updating Kai's blog again after an 8 month hiatus, I was determined to keep things as positive as possible. My hopes were that in doing this I could maybe, possibly forget what is really happening to my sweet Kai Kai. As I was wallowing in self pity the other night a quote from our former Prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley etched itself into my mind. "Forget yourself and go to work!" A little background on this quote first. When President Hinckley was a young man he was serving a mission for our church in England. He felt as if he wasn't doing any good in being there. He shared these thoughts with his father in a letter who in turn replied, "Forget yourself and go to work!"
Over the last two days I have not been able to get this thought from my mind. Which can only mean one thing, this is what my Heavenly Father wants me to do.
So with that being said, Kai is not doing very well. He is tiring much more quickly, isn't able to clear his lungs on his own, is having a lot more pain, and I'm afraid to say that we will be speaking with Shriner's about getting him a real wheelchair. His dad and I knew that this would probably happen someday, but hoped with all our hearts that it wouldn't. But since we are here we are going to make the best of it, and hope that everyone knows that we don't think of this as the end of the world. Quite the opposite, actually. We are going to use this experience as a way to help others. Which is the best way for me to "forget myself and go to work". By doing this I know it will make this journey a lot more bearable. So enough babbling. Jeremy and I have decided to start a foundation that will benefit children with unknown neuromuscular diseases. We are in the process of meeting with lawyers and getting everything set up. When everything is in place I will post about fundraisers and how to nominate individuals. We are thinking of calling it "Kai's Smiles", because those smiles of his make everything better for us and we want everyone to benefit from those beautiful smiles. So please check back often for updates and information. Love you all and thanks for caring so much about our little boy!

2 comments:

Anna said...

You guys are great... sounds like an awesome opportunity.

Kristin said...

What a way to take a trial and turn it into a blessing. For you and others. You are amazing! May the Lord bless you and keep you all in his care. Love and Hugs.
Kristin